For many of us, the Bible is like disconnected pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. We’ve assembled some of them, but there are a lot of extra pieces lying around and we don’t know where they go; in fact, we aren’t even sure what the picture should look like when it’s completed.
The Bible contains God’s Story. It is a love story and comes as a redemptive drama in six parts.
- Creation – when everything was as God meant it to be.
- Fall – the tragic intrusion of sin, resulting in a broken relationship with God.
- Israel – the history of a people who were to be God’s people, living his way and showing other nations his character.
- Jesus – God’s son, the promised Messiah of the Old Testament. He is the Saviour from sin. In his life, teaching and death, he fully reveals the character of God.
- Church – existing in the world today, to continue the work of Jesus.
- Consummation – the magnificent fulfillment of God’s plan to gather and cherish a people forever and to live in a restored world, called ‘the new heaven and new earth’.
This is God’s story. Even as Jesus is the main character in God’s story, each of us is freely invited to find our place in the grand narrative of hope